Sharing program updates, event alerts and good news from CUI
2016 Urban Leadership Awards
On November 21 (5:30PM - 8:30PM) CUI will host the 2016 Urban Leadership Awards. These awards recognize individuals, projects and organizations making a profound impact on the quality of life in Canada's urban regions. The award categories are: Jane Jacobs Lifetime Achievement Award, David Crombie Award, NextGenAward, City Builder Award and Urban Vitality Award.
We would also like to acknowledge the support of our sponsors: Loblaw Companies Limited, IBC Insurance Bureau of Canada, Airbnb, PCL Constructors Canada Inc. (Toronto) and Aird & Berlis LLP. For more information about sponsorship please contact Lisa.
Improving Urban Performance
What's New at CUI
We are building community around the issues and enabling informed decision making on the following projects:
- Excess Soil By-Law Tool CUI developed this web-based tool to help municipalities promote the beneficial reuse of excess soils. Informed by MOECC Best Management Practices and stakeholder consultation, the searchable site features examples of by-law language, MOECC recommendations and an interactive by-law map tool. The tool was recently featured in the Daily Commercial News here.
- We will be presenting the latest results of our Toronto Ward Boundary Review to the City of Toronto’s Executive Committee meeting at the end of October. This includes a new ward structure for Toronto that achieves the principle of effective representation, and can last for the next four municipal elections.
- As part of our ongoing International work, CUI recently led a Nigerian Urban Learning Exchange. A group of Nigerian builders learned about construction innovation, sustainable building practices and environmental education. Thanks to our friends at DIRTT; TRCA’s Archetype House, Infrastructure Ontario and Burlington’s Joseph Brant Hospital
Pictured (left to right): Nigerian builders participating in CUI's Nigerian Urban Learning Exchange. Presenters discussing safety and sustainability in transportation at CUI's recent seminar.
Growing a Public Good Enterprise
Progress + Impact
Thank you to all who attended our Annual General meeting held earlier this month. Learn more about the progress and impact of our enterprise in our 2015 Annual Report. We are also excited to welcome three new Directors to our Board:
- Vivian Manasc Principal, Manasc Isaac Architects
- Michael Sutherland Director, Urban Solutions, Hatch
- Robert Howald Executive VP, Real Estate, Canada Lands Company
- 2016 Lightsavers LED National Lighting Summit Nov 18
- 2016 CUI Urban Leadership Awards Nov 21
- Annual Meeting with the Chief Planner (CUI & NRU Publishing) Dec 2
Sharing event news from organizations in our urban good ecosystem:
- Cultural Heritage Landscapes Forum Nov 5
- 2016 Brownie Awards hosted by Actual Media and the Canadian Brownfields Network (Nov 29).
Safety & Sustainability in Transportation
On September 25 CUI with Business Sweden hosted a seminar to discuss lessons learned from Sweden about Safety & Sustainability in Transportation. Matts-Åke Belin (Vision Zero Academy) was the keynote speaker. Oliver Moore (Globe and Mail) moderated discussions featuring: Jean-Yves Vallee (Volvo Bus/Nova Bus), Roger Browne (City of Toronto), Michael Sutherland (Hatch). Swedish Ambassador Per Sjögren and Toronto City Councillor Jaye Robinson were also included. Read our discussion summary here.