Operations & Communications Coordinator
The Canadian Urban Institute (CUI) is an applied research organization established in 1990. We are dedicated to helping the public and private sectors achieve healthy urban development. Our focus is on solutions for the built environment that balance human, ecological and economic impacts.
CUI is hiring an Operations and Communications Coordinator who will lead and provide support for various communications, marketing and operational initiatives aligned with CUI’s mandate of achieving healthy urban development. This position is a 1-year maternity leave cover. The successful candidate must be available to start in the position as of March 4, 2019. The role will include a combination of the following activities:
1. Organizational Communications/Marketing
Work with the Executive Director to implement the activities outlined in CUI’s communications strategy and workplan in order to achieve the organization’s communications goals.
Create, write copy, edit and manage communications materials that are consistent with CUI brand.
Manage and monitor CUI’s social media accounts and create interactive content.
Manage and update CUI’s website and create new content as needed.
Coordinate content for and produce monthly e-newsletter and blog posts.
Track and prepare quarterly reports on CUI’s performance and analytics (social, website, email, etc.).
Manage CUI’s Membership Program (processing purchases, updating accounts and creating promotional material).
2. Project and Event Communications/Marketing (responsibilities vary with workload)
Lead promotional efforts and create marketing material (e-blasts, postcards, presentation slides, social media content, marketing packages, sponsorship packages, etc.) for events (seminars, conferences and webinars).
Assist in event planning, logistics (coordination of venue, catering etc.) and sponsorship development.
Create communications/marketing strategies, social media strategies and content, webpages and websites, promotional emails and any other communications/marketing material needed for specific initiatives.
Coordinate teams of external and partner communications professional as needed.
Design reports, presentations and other project deliverables. Often required to be AODA compliant.
Coordinate activities of the Board of Directors (prepare board and committee schedules, meeting materials, meeting minutes and other materials)
Manage office systems and accounts (including employee health benefits)
Order office supplies
Coordinate team meetings and events
Answer the main phone line
Maintain corporate documents, policies and resources
Maintain employee personnel files
Facility management – act as a liaison between staff, tenants and building management
Provide some bookkeeping support to the Director of Finance
Assist with project delivery processes (opening and closing projects)
You will work with the Executive Director, the Managing Director, Board of Directors and various project managers to complete the communications, marketing and operational tasks and responsibilities outlined above.
Regular hours, Monday to Friday with occasional evenings.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
1. Interests: you have a keen interest in urban issues and effective communications for public good enterprises. You enjoy working on multiple initiatives at the same time and doing what it takes to achieve organizational and project outcomes.
2. Experience: experience in both leading and supporting communications/marketing initiatives and operational activities. Familiarity with some of the following areas we work in: housing affordability, sustainable and resilient communities, complete communities, transportation and innovation. A demonstrated ability to work individually and within teams.
3. Relevant Qualifications:
Minimum 2+ years work experience, preferably in a non-profit, research-oriented and/or urban issues related environment.
Certificate in Marketing or Communications, or equivalent work experience.
Experience in administrative or operational roles. Board coordination experience considered an asset.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office software suite. Advanced experience with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint considered an asset.
Proficiency in Adobe programs, especially InDesign.
Effective written and oral communication skills.
Proficiency in managing and creating professional websites and web content.
Proficiency in monitoring and creating content for professional social media accounts.
Experience designing documents, presentations and other promotional material. Experience creating AODA compliant materials considered an asset.
Self-motivated and curious.
Fluency in French considered an asset.
Eligible to work in Canada.
Candidates may be required to submit samples of their writing and design work.
4. Requirements for all employees:
Commitment to CUI’s mandate and following CUI practices and policies
Ability to work flexible hours from time to time and occasional travel
Ability to work well in a team environment
Ability to successfully manage your contribution across multiple projects
The Canadian Urban Institute is an applied research enterprise established in 1990. We are dedicated to helping the public and private sectors achieve healthy urban development. Our focus is on solutions for the built environment that balance human, ecological and economic impacts. We generally work as the manager or partner on project teams. The capabilities we apply include:
1. Research, Analysis and Communications. We carry out research to help communities identify needs and opportunities. We collect and analyze relevant data from disparate sources to help understand local context. To develop benchmarks, we analyze best practices and real-world lessons from community experiences. We are experts at organizing information to uncover and communicate patterns and relationships.
2. Problem Solving. To develop practical solutions to issues confronting communities, we lead cross-disciplinary teams assembled from our staff and network of associates. By bringing diverse interests and expertise together, we seek to inspire holistic problem solving. We design our work to provide communities and stakeholders with a clear path forward.
3. Facilitation & Education. Through community consultations, focus groups and interviews, we engage directly with stakeholders to resolve growth and development challenges. We create and manage partnerships to transform industry practices. And we convene events to share expert thinking, build capacity and promote discussion on a variety of urban policy issues.
CUI is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. CUI encourages applications from all qualified individuals and will accommodate applicants' disability-related needs, up to the point of undue hardship, throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the recruitment team by email.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2019
Interview Period: February 1-12, 2019
Start date: March 4, 2019
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted to: email@example.com
Please include your full name and “Operations and Communications Coordinator” in the subject line.