Light Up our Cities
Lightsavers Canada 2016/2017
Lightsavers Canada, a program of the Canadian Urban Institute, is excited to announce our 2016-2017 program focused on Connected Lighting for Intelligent Communities. The following funders made this possible: Philips,GE, Colliers, Cree, Sensus and IESO.
The program initiatives will include: publications, case studies, webinars, an awards program and the 2016 National LED Summit #LS2016 on November 18, 2016. Inquire about exhibitor and sponsorship opportunities by email here. Register for tickets here.
Improving Urban Performance
What's New at CUI
We are building community around the issues and enabling informed decision making on the following projects:
- Toronto Urban Design Policy Review CUI used global best practices to help develop Urban Design Policy to achieve exceptional public realm and built environment, walkability, safety and accessibility. This assignment with The Planning Partnership for Toronto Planning, was part of Toronto's Official Plan Review.
- Vaughan Ward Boundary Review CUI (with Beate Bowron Etc.,Gary Davidson, Hemson) is working with the City to undertake a review of the current ward boundaries and will recommend a new ward boundary structure for the City of Vaughan. Find latest updates on this work here.
- Moncton Downtown CUI is is working with the City of Moncton and the downtown BIA to measure and evaluate the success of the City's initiatives to revitalize the downtown.
- Toronto Ward Boundary Review We continue to work with the City soliciting feedback on a new ward boundary structure for Toronto. Read the Additional Information Report and provide your feedback by completing the online survey and/or attending a public meeting.
Growing a Public Good Enterprise
Important Update about the Brownie Awards
After 16-years of celebrating excellence in brownfield redevelopment CUI announces that the Brownie Awards will now be delivered by a new partnership of the Canadian Brownfields Network (CBN) and Actual Media. For more information visit: www.canadianbrownfieldsnetwork.ca
- SEPT 15 CUI invites members to attend the 2016 Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the CUI office. Learn more here.
- SEPT 19-20 CUI is proud to be a supporting partner for the 2016 Green Building Festival #SBE16. Purchase your tickets here.
- SEPT 24-30 Attend the ArchitecTOUR to Copenhagen, hosted by the Danish Trade Council in Toronto, Architecture Canada, Werksted and the Danish Association of Architectural firms here.
- SEPT 26 CUI with Business Sweden will deliver a +PLACE MAKER session on: Improving Safety & Sustainability in Transportation: Lessons from Sweden. Get your tickets here.
Contributing to a better #6ix
Sharing Good News
Congratulations to CUI team member Ariana Cancelli (co-founder of The Laneway Project) featured in this Globe and Mail article recognizing the work being done to make Toronto a greener, more liveable place here.
Win Tickets to our #PLACEMAKER
Help share news about our upcoming +PLACE MAKER Improving Safety & Sustainabilty in Transportation: Lessons from Sweden (Sep 26) and be eligible for a chance to win a pair of complimentary tickets to the session. To apply, share our suggested tweet:
CUI @CANURB to host SEP 26 #CUIPLACEMAKER Improving Safety & Sustainability in Transportation: Lessons from #Sweden: http://bit.ly/2bYxgaI